6.18.13 - Daughter's Room Almost Finished


So when big brother moved out of the room, this is what we were left with:





He's not exactly a neat freak. ;)

So we have gone from that - to this:




Quite a difference I think.

We still have a few touches to add here and there.  I still want to do the striped wall.  I'm thinking of painting the back walls on the bookshelf hot pink to make them pop.  She wants the tops of the desk and dresser painted light pink.  And I know I'll be tweaking other things here and there. 

Here are a few other shots from around the room.  I decided not to 'stage' them, to let them have the already-lived in look it's acquiring. :)

A close-up of the rug.  The carpet had stains we couldn't get out - stains from long nights of XBox playing, and Big Red drinking - with the mishaps that go along with that.  ;)

I bought the rug from Overstock.com for a great price.  I bought some double-sided carpet tape from Amazon.com to keep it from scooting around, and the edges from curling up.  So far it is working quite well.  I thought the black chevron added a nice touch that would keep you from drowning in all of the pink and blue. 





Her bed comforter is hot pink, but always looks red in pictures for some reason.  We got it on Ebay.  I didn't add a closer picture of it because I couldn't get it to not look red.

This is her working, crafting, designing, music corner.  Her happy place.  She loves having this corner for all of her projects.  It's one of the main things she requested when she was planning out the room.






The bookshelf that we made-over.





She bought these glittery initials a while back at Hobby Lobby.  The blue wasn't going to show up against the blue paint, so I painted the edges with hot pink paint.







An old towel rack from Goodwill.  Painted in our lovely hot pink.  Will become the home for many beloved stuffed animals.





The mirror that came with the desk/dresser set.  It was yellow, we painted it of course. ;)




The dresser, which was also yellow.  We gave it a quick coat of whitewash.

There was a white wire shelf already hanging in the room, so instead of taking it down, we utilized it for doll and animal display.  Took a couple of boas and wound them around the edge.  Now the entourage doesn't have to be piled up on the bed. :)





The closet door was pretty banged up, so I painted it with chalkboard paint.  Covered up the dings, and makes a fun place for her and her friends to demonstrate their art skills.





Turn off the overhead light, and the lamp makes a cozy glow.






So that's where we are so far.  She's loving her new nest.  And we had such fun designing it!

(We got the paint at Lowe's.  The hot pink is Pantone's 'Cabaret'.  The blue is 'Well Water' by Valspar.)

4 comments:

  1. Your daughters room is adorable! You mentioned painting the back of the bookcase.... have you ever thought about covering it with fabric or pretty gift wrap? It's easy and inexpensive....especially the gift wrap. I have done both ways and actually prefer the gift wrap. I love the chevron rug! It is awesome and really pulls the room together! Great job.....:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I hadn't thought of that! That would work. I could also use scrapbook paper.

      When I was a teenager I had a room with fabric-covered walls. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Now the wheels in my head are turning.....

      Thanks for the nudge! :)

      Delete
  2. The chalkboard door is a brilliant idea! I also love that chevron rug and want it for my own room!

    Visiting from the SITS summer community building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) She's had fun with that door.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete